An Introduction To Fragrance | Why and How to Wear Fragrances Grooming | May 2, 2016
- Increases your level of attractiveness.
- Increase your perceived level of trust.
- Reduce stress levels.
- Increase confidence levels.
- Increase your alertness.
- Double your chances of getting a woman’s phone number.
Despite all these benefits – 80% of men don’t use a fragrance regularly!
Why are men hesitant to wear fragrance?
Due to lack of basic information, ignorance about the various terminology and a fear of wearing it wrong or just plain smelling BAD.
This article is an introduction to the different types of fragrances – why and… more importantly how you need to select and regularly use a cologne that complements your natural body odor.
What Are Fragrances?
Fragrances are complex mixtures of what people in the industry refer to as raw materials. These raw materials can be extracts from natural sources or synthetic raw materials.
Oils are dissolved in a solvent (usually alcohol), to preserve a pleasant concoction of scents. The higher the concentration of oils – the greater the strength of the fragrance. The strength determines how long an application of the fragrance lasts on your skin.
What Is The Difference Between Fragrance, Perfume, Toilette And Cologne?
Fragrance is a unisex, generic term used for perfume. Fragrances come in many forms and are called different names but generally fall into these categories:
- Cologne (Eau de Cologne) – Oldest term for perfume, used in North America for masculine scents. Light, fresh and fruity, typically composed of 2% – 4% perfume oils in alcohol and water. Tend to be used in fragrances for younger people. Usually lasts for about 2 hours.
- Toilette (Eau de Toilette) – A light spray composition with 5% – 15% pure perfume essence dissolved in alcohol. Usually lasts for about 3 hours.
- Perfume (Eau de Parfum) – Historically genderless, used to describe both men’s and women’s fragrances. The best term used to describe a fragrance. Contains 15% – 20% pure perfume essence and lasts for about 5 to 8 hours.
- Perfume – A corruption of the Latin phrase per fumum (through smoke). The most concentrated and expensive of all fragrance options. Slightly oilier, perfume, or parfum, is composed of 20% – 30% pure perfume essence. A single application of perfume can last up to 24 hours.
Uniqueness of a scent is often overlooked by most men.
Different scents carry different vibes, and knowing these vibes and choosing accordingly matters. Also, people associate scents with memories and other people (especially women). If you are wearing scents that are unremarkable or common – you’ll smell like everyone else.
Your clothes are an outward expression of how you view yourself. The same goes for fragrances.
Rules For Perfume Application
Spray perfume on dry skin, preferably right after a shower. Hold the spray nozzle 3-6 inches from your skin and focus on these rules for applying perfume:
- Pulse points – Your body heat will push the scent through out the day, creating a nice scent trail commonly called sillage. Start with the warm parts of your body – chest, neck, lower jaw, wrist, forearm, inner elbow, shoulder.
- Re-spray only when required – You can add more sprays to your wrists or take sprays away depending on how long the scent lasts.
- Don’t kill the note – Rubbing the perfume into the skin seems a sensible thing to do. In reality – it breaks the molecular bond, making the scent weaker.
- Don’t spray and walk – Spraying a fragrance in the air and walking through the mist is worthless. Most of it the fragrances drops straight to the floor.
- Don’t spray fragrance on your clothes – The fragrance isn’t allowed to mix with your oils, and hence it can’t naturally go through the stages of notes like it should. The oils in a fragrance will stain many fabrics.
- Don’t splash too much – If you are applying cologne from a regular bottle, take one finger and press it against the opening of your bottle, and then tip it over gently.
- Less Is More – “Fragrance should be discovered, not announced”. People should be close to smell the perfume but not overpowered by it.
CK BE BY CALVIN KLEIN - A unique and unpredictable scent that feels warm and intimate, with fragrance notes of Bergamot, Juniper Berry, Mandarin, Mint, Magnolia, Peach, Sandalwood, Opoponax and Tonka Bean.
CK ONE SHOCK BY CALVIN KLEIN - Get ready to shock with CK Shock for Him, a rebellious scent for him with surprising and evocative notes.
DARK OBSESSION BY CALVIN KLEIN - A bold new modern-day interpretation of Obsession for men, Dark Obsession for men is powerfully masculine and intensely sexy.